NEWINGTON POLICE COMMISSION
There was a meeting of the Newington Police Commissioners on January 2, 2018 at the Newington police department at 4:00 p.m.
PRESENT: Commissioner Steve Prefontaine, Commissioner Kenneth Latchaw, Commissioner F. Jackson Hoyt, Chief Michael Bilodeau, Captain Michael Sullivan and Admin Assistant Diana St. Laurent.
CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Prefontaine called the meeting to order at 4:06 p.m.
MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS
On a MOTION by Commissioner Hoyt and seconded by Commissioner Latchaw, the Commissioners voted to accept the minutes from the December 6, 2017 meeting as written.
There were no other minutes.
POLICE COMMISSION INFORMATION
The Chief told the Commissioners that Officer Jessica Gregor, who was sworn in as a part-time officer the end of December 2017, will be attending the part-time academy in February 2018. Officer Adin Sobel is attending the full-time academy and will graduate in April 2018.
The Chief told the Commissioners that he is pleased with the productivity of the officers.
The Chief told the Commissioners that Officer Appelbaum will be on disability leave for approximately 4 to 6 months.
- The Commissioners reviewed and signed the purchase order file.
- There was a brief review of the remaining 2017 budget funds.
Commissioner Latchaw asked the Chief if he is going to change the department badges to say “Police Officer” instead of “Policeman”. The Chief said going forward the badges will be changed to accommodate any female officers.
- The Commissioners signed the Permanent Full-Time Officers appointment for Andrew Wood.
- The Chief told the Commissioners that he and Mrs. St. Laurent have been going over the 2017 budget figures. The Chief said that he and Commissioner Latchaw went over equipment for the department that could hopefully be purchased if there is a surplus from the 2017 budget. The list was presented to the Board of Selectmen. The Chief said that when he and Commissioner Latchaw attended the meeting with the Selectmen, the remaining funds from 2017 was much less than anticipated. The Chief said that the Selectmen approved purchasing 10 rifles from the 2017 budget surplus. The Chief said that Cpt. Sullivan is still working with a company to possibly purchase the old rifles. The Chief said the updated radar units cannot be purchased and have been put on hold.
- There was a discussion about leasing versus purchasing the tazers proposed for next year’s budget. The Chief said he will contact AXON and have them send information on the pros and cons of leasing or purchasing the equipment. This will provide information which he can present to the Budget Committee when he meets with them in February.
- Non-Public Session RSA 91-A:3 II(c) Personnel Matter – Not needed.
NEXT MEETING DATE/TIME/LOCATION
The next meeting of the Commissioners is scheduled for Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
On a MOTION by Commissioner Latchaw and seconded by Commissioner Hoyt, the Commissioners voted unanimously to adjourn at 4:30 p.m.
For Kenneth Latchaw, Secretary
by Diana St. Laurent